Saturday, December 11, 2010

Can we be golden?

I've just read a post about one way to introduce the concept of classroom community to kindergarteners. It was a strikingly visual moment, and I wanted to remember it (and pass it on!).

I've linked the post (Organized Chaos We-are-golden) where the author did a MUCH better job of telling us about it, but here is a quick synopsis.

The classroom in question is a kindergarten class which is having a little difficulty remembering some of the good classroom behaviors that are expected of them. The teacher puts up a shiny gold poster. Over the course of the discussion about bad behaviors, each time one is memtioned (not sharing, calling names, etc...) she puts a piece of black paper over the gold until all they shiny gets covered up. It's a powerful way of showing kids what will happen if we don't treat each other with respect and kindness. Our class goes from being happy and shiny to dark and sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment