Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I feel gypped...

This week in math we had the opportunity to use a program that I had never seen before, Geometer’s Sketchpad. The half hour or so that we spent using it made me think more about what defines a shape than so many hours of math problems ever did.


We were asked to use the 7 shape makers, each which possessed certain characteristics that were defined by what shape it was, to recreate the shapes in a picture. For example, the rhombus maker required that the shape have sides that were all equal and opposite sites that were parallel to each other and it would only work if we tried to put it over a shape which also held these characteristics. It also made us think about how some shapes are more limited because of the parameters that are put on them (such as a square or rhombus) while others were much more flexible in their use(such as the quadrilateral, which could become any of the shapes on the board). If we didn’t think about what a rhombus IS, or what a rectangle IS, we soon became very frustrated when the shapes would not do what we wanted them to do.

Forcing us to stop and think about what makes a certain shape a “rhombus” or a “kite-shape” was a very effective way of solidifying the concepts in my brain. Once I used the shape, thought about it and what it can possible look like, it was firmly planted in my brain, not just as an idea, but as a tangible bit of knowledge that I now can use as I progress in my math thinking. And whenever I come across a rhombus in my future, I will always remember what I learned during that class, and how I learned it.

I am a visual learner, and this worked really well for me.

When all is said and done, this is yet another example of what we’ve been talking about all year. If students are allowed to experience learning in engaging and fun ways rather than just listen to us talk about it, they are much more likely to retain what they see, do and hear. And more importantly, they will be making those mental connections that will help them scaffold their future learning.

They will also learn so much more if they are allowed to use programs like this one to create their own questions as they work than they ever will by just answering the questions that the teacher throws at them.

“Why the heck CAN’T I get this shape to work? Oh, yeah, it’s because…”

“If I have a triangle and I the sides stay the same length but I change one angle, what happens to the other angles? Oh, no matter what I do to them, all the angles add up to 180 degrees…”

Thinking it through this way will help that student to never forget because it will be much more REAL to them than if I just told them that the sum of the angles of a triangle are always 180 degrees.

It all makes me realize how the math classes I endured in the dark ages were more about teaching me how to get through page after page of monotonous practice problems, rather than actually understanding the why and the how.

I feel gypped.

No comments:

Post a Comment