I caught myself using some of the acronyms that my Master Teacher was using when I was with her in September. They were meant to help the students remember certain habits and ideas, but I guess they worked on me, too!
Here are a few of them. If you have anymore, please share!
ABCD -when referring to drawing diagrams in their science journals
A- accurate
B-big
C-colorful
D-detailed
CUPS-what to look for when editting your work
C-Capitals
U-use of grammar
P-punctuation
S-spelling
CAN-this is how you should be able to describe your work
C-complete
A-accurate
N-neat
SLANT-how to participate during discussion
S-sit up
L-listen carefully
A-ask and answer questions
N-nod when appropriate
T-track the person talking (look at)
I think acronyms are a great way for students to remember things. When presenting them with an editing assignment it would be much simpler to tell them to remember "CUPS" when editing, otherwise they may skip a step by accident.
ReplyDeleteI remember an acronym for how to spell rhythm:
Rhythm Helps Your Two Hips Move
Now I could use an acronym for the spelling of acronym...because I always forget how to spell that!