I was responding to a blog from someone in our cohort on the idea that students learn more from each other than from the teacher, when I realized that it's something that I should put on my own blog before I forget (which I will)!
I was reading the blog of a kindergarten teacher lately and she mentioned a class rule that is still ringing in my head and I can really see myself using it in the future. "Three before me". In her instance she was referring to the fact that if someone needed to have their shoelace tied or coat zipped, they needed to ask 3 friends for help before coming to her. She said that the "non-tiers" and "non-zippers" were much more likely to pay attention to their friends teaching them how than they would from her!
This is something that I had also observed in another kinder classroom in the past. The teacher had basically told me the same thing, just without the catchy quote (she said they had to ask 2 friends, which doesn't quite have the same ring). This was brought to mind recently as I was stooping to tie the tenth shoe during a day in a classroom where the teacher doesn't have this rule and the kids seem to be making no effort whatsoever to learn how to do it themselves. It's her classroom, her choice of which battles to pick, but when comparing the two situations and their outcomes, I think I'll give the first example a tie, I mean a try.
I can also see how this would be a good rule for older kids, too, when they are working in groups or on projects. Not only are they working on communication skills, they are allowing the "teaching" student to work through their own thoughts well enough so that they are able to explain it. If the student can get through 3 friends without getting an answer that makes sense to them, then I guess I didn't do a good enough job explaining in the first place! Time to revisit!
I love this idea! I had forgotten about it but after reading your post I remembered a teacher my daughter had and she had a big poster of the classroom mascot holding a flag that said, "C3B4ME!" (This same poster had the rest of the classroom rules on it too).
ReplyDeleteThe teacher was the same, she was tired of never having free time to work with those students who needed a little extra attention. She explained that this also left her more time to assess. She presented the idea to the class when they made their classroom rules because this way the students understood about mutual respect and could take ownership of the rule.
Thanks for reminding me of it!
the teacher can do more assessment; and,
the students asked for help can demonstrate their understanding of the topic.
classroom management issues can be addressed when a little creativity and mutual respect is applied.